Updated: Sep 23, 2019
Credit by Max Ved
The benefits of AI for healthcare have been extensively discussed in the recent years up to the point of the possibility to replace human physicians with AI in the future.
Both such discussions and the current AI-driven projects reveal that Artificial Intelligence can be used in healthcare in several ways:
1. AI can learn features from a large volume of healthcare data, and then use the obtained insights to assist clinical practice in treatment design or risk assessment.
2. AI system can extract useful information from a large patient population to assist making real-time inferences for health risk alert and health outcome prediction.
3. AI can do repetitive jobs, such as analyzing tests, X-Rays, CT scans or data entry.
4. AI systems can help to reduce diagnostic and therapeutic errors that are inevitable in the human clinical practice.
5. AI can assist physicians by providing up-to-date medical information from journals, textbooks and clinical practices to inform proper patient care.
6. AI can manage medical records and analyze both performance of an individual institution and the whole healthcare system.
7. AI can help develop precision medicine and new drugs based on the faster processing of mutations and links to disease.
8. AI can provide digital consultations and health monitoring services — to the extent of being “digital nurses” or “health bots”.